Here is a recipe for healthy cabbage rolls:
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the whole cabbage head and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the outer leaves are tender enough to be removed. Remove the cabbage head from the pot and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey or chicken, cooked brown rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Once the cabbage is cool enough to handle, carefully remove the outer leaves one at a time, being careful not to tear them.
- Take a cabbage leaf and place a spoonful of the turkey or chicken mixture at the base of the leaf. Roll the leaf around the filling, tucking in the sides as you go. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
- In a bowl, mix the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Pour the mixture into the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Arrange the cabbage rolls on top of the tomato mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cabbage rolls are cooked through.
- Serve the cabbage rolls with the tomato sauce.
Enjoy your healthy cabbage rolls!