Mississippi Mudslide Cake is a delicious chocolate cake that is typically made with coffee, chocolate, and a variety of other ingredients. Here’s how to prepare it:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup of Kahlua or other coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in the cooled coffee and coffee liqueur until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream over low heat until it just begins to simmer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before frosting it.
- Pour the chocolate frosting over the top of the cake, spreading it out evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of the frosting.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.