- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt, for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, kosher salt, sugar, and yeast.
- Add the warm water and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-7 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise for 1 hour in a warm place, until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a long rope, about 20 inches (50 cm) long.
- Shape each rope into a pretzel shape and dip each pretzel into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pretzels from the water with a slotted spoon and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush each pretzel with the egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy your homemade soft pretzels!