Here’s a recipe for Old Fashioned Rice Pudding:
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and butter over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture to the eggs and whisk. This will temper the eggs, preventing them from curdling when added to the hot milk mixture.
- Add the tempered eggs to the hot milk mixture and stir.
- Add the cooked rice to the milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the pudding is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve the rice pudding warm or chilled, topped with additional cinnamon or whipped cream, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Old Fashioned Rice Pudding!