Smothered chicken is a delicious and hearty meal that’s perfect for any occasion. Here’s a simple recipe to help you prepare it:
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, mix together smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken thighs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken thighs, skin-side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion, green bell pepper, and minced garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the skillet and stir well to combine.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, skin-side up. Spoon some of the tomato mixture over the chicken.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Enjoy your delicious smothered chicken with your favorite sides such as rice, potatoes or vegetables!