Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish that consists of spinach and feta cheese baked in phyllo pastry. Here is a recipe for making spanakopita:
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 16 sheets phyllo pastry
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Rinse the spinach thoroughly and remove any tough stems. Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain and let cool. Squeeze out any excess water and chop the spinach finely.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped spinach, scallions, dill, parsley, and feta cheese. Add the beaten eggs, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Brush a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil. Lay one sheet of phyllo pastry in the dish, letting the edges hang over the sides. Brush the sheet with olive oil.
- Layer 7 more sheets of phyllo pastry on top, brushing each sheet with olive oil.
- Spread the spinach and feta cheese mixture evenly over the top of the phyllo pastry.
- Cover the spinach mixture with 8 more sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each sheet with olive oil. Fold the overhanging edges of the bottom layer of pastry over the top layer of pastry and press down gently.
- Brush the top layer of phyllo pastry with olive oil.
- Use a sharp knife to score the top layer of pastry into squares or diamonds.
- Bake the spanakopita in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the spanakopita from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.