Beoseot Jeongol (Korean
Mushroom Hot Pot)
Stock (use regular chicken/vegetable stock at a pinch)
* 1/2 small onion cut into big chunks
* 3 ounces Korean radish cut into big chunks
* 3 x 3 inches dried kelp aka dashima/kombu
* a few mushroom stems
* 1 tablespoon soup soy sauce
* salt and pepper to taste
* 8 – 10 ounces assorted mushrooms button, shiitake, oyster, crimini, enoki, etc.
* 2 scallions cut into small pieces
* 2 zucchini cut int long strips
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* Small amount bok choy (Optional or any green leaves you have on hand)
Make to stock: put stock ingredients in add 5 cups of water bring to the boil and then turn down to soft boil for 15 minutes. Discard the vegetables.
Cut the mushrooms into bite size slices (about 1/4-inch thick). Mushrooms cook down quite a bit, so don’t cut too thin. If using oyster mushrooms, split lengthwise into bite size pieces.
Neatly arrange the mushrooms and scallions in clusters in a shallow pot. Add 2 cups of broth. Boil over medium to medium high heat until mushrooms are softened, 4 – 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook a little more. You can add more broth and any remaining ingredients while eating if you’re cooking at the table.