FOR THE CHICKEN:
– 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
FOR THE SAUCE:
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
– 2 stalks celery, diced
– 1 large onion, diced
– 2 bay leaves
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 5-6 cups chicken broth
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
FOR THE DUMPLINGS:
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup buttermilk
– 2 eggs
– Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– In a medium bowl, season chicken with salt and pepper and toss with 1/2 cup flour.
– Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until outsides are browned, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
– Reduce heat to medium and add remaining olive oil and butter. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
– Stir in broth, thyme, bay leaves, and chicken. Bring to a simmer, then stir in cream and peas and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings:
– In a medium bowl, stir together the 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add buttermilk and eggs and stir until no raw flour remains.
– Drop dough by tablespoons into simmering broth, giving them some space to puff up.
– Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer gently until dumplings are puffy and chicken has cooked through, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!