- 1 egg
- 1/2 + 1/8 cup oil
- 1/2 + 1/8 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 oz red food coloring
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream)
* cake crumbs (from cutting off tops of cakes)
12 ounce can cream cheese frosting (I used a whipped icing)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
* remainder of cream cheese icing
3/4 cup blueberries
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- 1. Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients until combined.
- 3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix on medium high until completely combined.
- 4. Pour into two prepared 8 inch cake pans.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs.
- 6. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pans and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
ONCE CAKE HAS COOLED, MAKE THE ICE CREAM:
- 1. Mix cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- 2. Fold in the cool whip.
- 3. Cut the domes (the rounded tops) off of the cakes with a long serrated knife. Crumble the tops of the cakes into the ice cream mixture and stir until well incorporated.
ASSEMBLING IT ALL:
- 1. Line the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will be a little taller than your pan. If you want, put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan.
- 2. Put the first cake layer in the bottom of your pan.
- 3. Pour a third of the ice cream mixture on top of the cake and spread evenly.
- 4. Add 1/2 a cup of cream cheese icing on top of the ice cream and spread evenly, working it lightly into the ice cream.
- 5. Add another third of the ice cream mixture on top of the icing and spread evenly.
- 6. Add another 1/2 a cup of cream cheese icing on top of the ice cream and spread evenly, working it lightly into the ice cream.
- 7. Top with remaining ice cream and spread evenly, smoothing out the top.
- 8. Top with second layer of cake.
- 9. Allow ice cream cake to freeze completely, 5-6 hours or overnight.
- 10. Once frozen, remove cake from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides.