– 3 cups sugar
– 1 cup butter
– 6 eggs, separated
– 2 teaspoons vanilla
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
– 1 cup sour cream
– 3 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
– 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Cream together sugar and butter, add the egg yolks one at time; beat well after each addition.
– Blend in vanilla, lemon juice and sour cream.
– Into a separate bowl, sift sifted flour, salt, and soda. Add sifted dry ingredients to batter; beat well. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
– Fold egg whites into the cake batter. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake at 300° for about 1-1/2 hours or until cake tests done.