How to make Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
– This Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup combines roasted chicken, orzo pasta, onions, celery, carrots, and spinach in a perfectly seasoned broth with a touch of lemon. It is a refreshing and fulfilling taste tantalizing experience. Using already baked rotisserie chicken for this recipe makes it easy to get it on the table in less than thirty minutes.
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 medium onion chopped
– 2 ribs celery chopped
– 3 carrots peeled and chopped
– 3 cloves garlic mince
– ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
– ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
– 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
– 2 bay leaves
– ¾ cup orzo pasta
– 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
– 1 lemon juiced
– 3 cups baby spinach
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Heat oil in Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook until the onions and celery are soft; approximately 6-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
– Raise heat to medium low. Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Add bay leaves and simmer for 5 minutes; stirring several times
– Add orzo and chicken and cook until the orzo is tender; 8-10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and spinach cooking until the spinach is wilted.
– Remove bay leaves. For best results serve promptly.