- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder divided (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes canned
- 19 ounces kidney beans canned, drained & rinsed
- 14 ½ ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine ground beef and 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder.
In a large pot, brown ground beef, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Drain any fat.
Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 45-60 minutes or until chili has reached desired thickness.
Top with cheddar cheese, green onions, cilantro, or other favorite toppings.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Beer can be replaced with extra broth.
Any ground meat will work in this recipe.
Optional toppings: sour cream, red or green onion, cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, avocado & lime wedges, tortilla chips