This recipe is ideal to take to work, if you don’t want to make a super pie you could make individual ones. Depending on the size you give it, you can make 2 or 3. They are great, prepare 2 or 3 meals in one recipe and freeze them.
Save time but never give up a good meal! I don’t know what to call it, chicken pie, corn pie, chicken pie… We can call it in a thousand ways, but we all agree that it is so but so delicious that it restores any evil. You can use green onion instead of leek, and add on top seeds like flax or pumpkin seeds… Or black sesame, it looks very nice!
You can also add cheese, although I think it would be abuse because it is already good enough with the béchamel sauce and the cream. Don’t get excited and use up everything you have in the fridge in one meal!
3 secrets for the perfect chicken pot pie
what do I have to keep in mind?
- A crispy base: a crispy and dry crust makes a very good contrast with the moisture of the filling. To achieve this, the dough must be pre-baked before adding the filling and topping.
In the case of a recipe like the chicken pie I bring you today, where the filling and the dough go together in the oven, it is convenient to put it closer to the floor of the oven. That way it stays crunchy!
- A moist and tasty filling: obviously it is the protagonist of this love story. Let’s make the most of it!
- A topping that complements the filling: the important thing is what’s inside, yes. We all agree on this. But food goes in through the eyes, so you have to decorate it nicely. And with things that go well with the filling, for example seeds, cheese, fresh herbs, whatever you like.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 carrot
- 3 leeks
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 can of peas
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 splash of cream (optional)
- 2 tart lids
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Super simple!
- Chop the onion and garlic. Cut the leeks into slices. The carrot, in small pieces. Sauté these vegetables in 1 tablespoon of butter for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken cut into pieces: if it is cooked, sauté for 2 more minutes. If it is uncooked, cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes more or less.
- Stir in the peas and salt and pepper. You can also add corn kernels (in this case, half a can and half a can). Stir until the peas get hot. Season with salt and pepper
- and add the oregano.
- Sprinkle with the tablespoon of flour. Toss over a medium flame for approximately 2 minutes.
- Warm the glass of milk in the microwave (or in a small pot and on the heat). Add to the preparation and stir. It will form a kind of béchamel or white sauce and it will be a super creamy preparation. Add the dash of milk cream and integrate.
- Put one of the doughs in an oiled deep baking pan, add the preparation and cover again with the other dough. The ideal for this chicken pie is to make some small holes for the steam to escape (or prick it).
- Bake at 180º until the dough is golden brown and serve.