Skip to content
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce Divided
- 2 ¼ Cups Beef Broth, Divided
- 1 ½ Pounds Lean Ground Beef
- ⅓ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, To Taste
- ⅓ Cup Flour
- 8 Slices Provolone Cheese
- ½ Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions, one Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, and ¼ cup of the beef broth to the skillet and stir to coat the onions.
- Continue cooking the onions, stirring occasionally for 6-7 minutes until soft and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl add the ground beef, egg, 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Use your hands or a large spoon to gently mix the beef mixture until everything is well combined.
- Form the beef mixture into 5 even balls, then flatten into patties, set aside on a plate or cutting board.
- Once the onions have softened, scoot them to the side and add the patties to the pan.
- Fry the patties for 4 minutes per side, then, remove to a plate.
- Stir the onions around in the pan, then sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Slowly pour the remaining beef broth into the skillet, stirring constantly and scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the patties back to the pan.
- Top each patty evenly with the cheese. Cover the skillet and simmer for 6-8 more minutes until cheese is melted, gravy is thickened, and the meat is cooked through.